With desserts, sometimes it’s best to stick with what you know. And love. (We’re talkin real love, like, you’re so passionate about a particular flavor combo that you can’t imagine going a week without it.)
It almost sounds as if we’re talking about your boyfriend or an illegal substance, doesn’t it?
But no, we’re talking about Jamie’s ultimate obsession- chocolate and peanut butter. We’ve written about the craziness before and we’re writing about it again.
The latest, our Peanut Butter & Chocolate Icebox Pie, we whipped up for Kathie Lee & Hoda on TODAY Show on Friday. It was the yummiest “compromise dessert” we could think of for their “He Said/She Said” theme and it’s a winner for the dog days of summer. Who wants to turn on their oven for more than 10 minutes? Not us.
There she is, above, on set and, below, typed out as easy-as-pie recipe. We never got around to sampling the dessert during our segment so we think we need to make up for lost time…
Yes, Jamie I saw you sneaking bites from the refrigerator last night!
- 2 cups ground chocolate wafers
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, chilled
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- For the crust, combine the wafer crumbs crumbs, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Mix well and stir in the melted butter to moisten. Press the crumbs over the bottom and up the sides of a 10-inch springform or tart pan. Bake for 10 minutes and cool completely.
- For the filling, combine the peanut butter, vanilla extract and milk; whisk until smooth. In a separate bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar while continuing to whisk until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped, sweetened cream into the peanut butter mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared crust. Freeze until set, about 2 hours. Serve chilled. Topped with fresh berry compote.