photo credit Will Ringo, who made these last weekend
Last week a friend wrote us:
“Grilling out at a friends farm Saturday night. Looking for a stuffed pork chop or other good stuffed recipe. Any suggestions?”
I love getting notes like these because they make me think. They make me dig back through old notebooks full of recipes and rediscover old favorites that I’ve almost forgotten. This time, I found a favorite from my days in Birmingham, Alabama- pork chops stuffed with bacon, breadcrumbs, herbs and garlic. It’s a big, delicious crowd-pleaser. Enjoy!
Stuffed Pork Chops
Author: Just Married & Cooking
Recipe type: entree
- 4 pork chops
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- pound bacon slices, chopped
- To prepare the stuffing, add the bacon to a large sauté pan render the fat. Add the chopped onions to the sizzling bacon fat and cook until tender and translucent. Stir in the garlic and rosemary and cook 1 minute more. Season with lots of cracked black pepper. Fold in the breadcrumbs and remove from the pan to cool.
- While the stuffing is cooling, cut a pocket in the pork chops for the stuffing. Insert the tip of a small, sharp knife into the side of the chop, just above the bone. Push the knife toward the meat of the chop and wiggle it back and forth t o open as large a pocket as possible.
- When the stuffing has cooled, stir in the parsley. Fill each pork chop with the stuffing- each chop should bulge slightly- don’t over fill! Season the stuffed chops with salt and pepper and grill or brown well on each side in a skillet and finish cooking in the oven. The chops should require 12-16 minutes total cooking time.
I can see why this is a crowd-pleaser. Pork on pork, with fresh breadcrumbs and herbs sounds heavenly!
Looking forward to trying this with our dinner club! At what point do you recommend adding the bread crumbs?
Good eye Jayne! At the end of step 1, just before removing the stuffing from the pan to cool. I’m going to update recipe now…