Food that almost makes you blush because it is so unapologetically…
But what about that sweet spot where flavor trumps fat and you get the chance to enjoy yummy football food and still shimmy into your skinny jeans? Enter our Mexican 7-Layer Dip. Oh, yes there are many versions out there but how many feature a creamy, carotenoid, omega-3-rich layer of Avocado Crema? Yep, the secret’s in the sauce. The sweet heat from the Tabasco Pepper Sauce plays off the cool avocado and cilantro puree, making the crema- and the dip- a total home run. Uh oh I’m mixing my sports metaphors…
I like to think of this as Dude Food revamped- a lot of veggies, little fat. Get out your biggest bowl and make this dip!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- (2) 15 oz cans black beans, drained
- 1 cup water
- few dashes Tabasco Pepper Sauce
- Avocado Crema (see recipe below)
- 2 cups diced roma tomatoes
- 2 cups corn kernels, blanched
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup grated Cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepot. Add the garlic and cook until lightly browned. Stir in the cumin, cook 15 seconds more; add the beans and water. Bring the pot to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally until the water in nearly evaporated. Remove the pot from the heat and coarsely mash the beans with a spoon. If the mashed beans are too thick, add a little more water. Season to taste with salt and a few dashes of Tabasco.
- Spread the beans into thin layer in a clear serving dish. Spread two-thirds of the avocado crema over the beans. Layer on the diced tomatoes, corn, iceberg lettuce and grated cheese. Drizzle the remaining crema over the top.