I love Jamie. I love chocolate. I love cocktails. I love the whole kitten caboodle even more when they’re wrapped up together in a tidy package, say, Jamie proffering a martini glass full of fresh berries that have been soaked in Godiva’s heavenly Chocolate Vodka.
My first Valentine’s dessert fantasy was a wee bit different… and a lot more complicated. (That’s the picture you see on the homepage.) We had just received a bottle of Godiva Chocolate Vodka and I wanted to whip up bowls of Bavarian cream and sheet pans of raspberry gelee and layers of sponge cake and… I’ll stop here and tell you that the cake required an entire Saturday afternoon and evening to make.
Then I thought, what we love most are great ingredients, simply presented.
So we bought the freshest pints of berries we could find, marinated them in the vodka and spooned them into my favorite girlie glass– a martini glass. Voila! The perfect easy, elegant dessert when you want something special but you don’t have an entire Valentine’s Day to make it.
- 1 pint mixed fresh berries
- ½ cup (4 oz) Godiva Chocolate Vodka
- 2 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1 slice, store-bought pound cake
- whipped cream for garnish
- Combine the berries, chocolate vodka and sugar in a bowl and toss well. Set the berries aside to marinate 1-2 hours at room temperature or refrigerate overnight.
- With a champagne flute, punch out two small rounds from the slice of pound cake.
- To assemble, place one cake round in the bottom of each martini glass. Moisten the cake by drizzling some of the vodka-berry juice that has collected at the bottom of the bowl. Top with spoonfuls of the marinated berries and finish with whipped cream.
- *Omit the pound cake for a delicious, decadent gluten-free alternative
This is brilliant–thank you! Your blog is wonderful; I love the fresh ideas and the upbeat, down-to-earth way you share them. Kudos–and please keep it up!!
Thank you so much, Brenda! We’ll try to keep ’em coming for you!