We’ve never been ones to shy away from a good drink. But to try to come up with the perfect cocktail– and a margarita to boot? That takes guts, good tequila and some spectacular occasion, Super Bowl XLVI for example.
Our jalapeno marg is spicy, citrusy and, the most important consideration of all– it doesn’t come with a hangover. Seriously! This means it has been made with all-natural, good, fresh stuff. These are the essentials- smooth tequila (we like Don Julio ‘Blanco’), freshly squeezed lime juice and the ultimate, at-home chef’s trick—making jalapeno & lime zest-infused simple syrup. The syrup is the secret, the syrup is the secret… Repeat after me! “The syrup is the secret…”
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) fresh lime juice
- 4 oz (1/2 cup) Lime-Jalapeno Simple Syrup
- 2 oz (1/4 cup) Triple Sec
- 6 oz (3/4 cup) tequila (Don Julio Blanco)
- ice cubes
- kosher salt for glasses
- garnish- lime wedges and rounds of fresh jalapeno
- Lime-Jalapeno Simple Syrup** (makes enough for 4 batches)
- zest of 4 limes removed in strips with a vegetable peeler
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 fresh jalapeno sliced into rounds
- Combine the lime juice, lime-jalapeno simple syrup, Triple Sec, tequila and several ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Shake well until chilled.
- Strain through the top of the cocktail shaker into salt-rimmed martini glasses or rocks glasses filled with ice.
- Garnish with fresh lime wedges and float a few rounds of freshly sliced jalapeno.
- *For the lime-jalapeno simple syrup*- In a medium saucepot, combine the lime zest, salt, sugar and water. When small bubbles begin to form, and the mixture has almost reached a boil, remove from the heat. Add sliced jalapeno rounds to the hot simply syrup. Stir well so all the sugar dissolves. Remove to a glass jar or heat-proof container. Will keep for up to two weeks.