BBQ Shortcuts and Grilled Kiwi Margaritas with Hoda & Kathy Lee @TodayShow
Doesn’t everyone want to sip margaritas with Hoda & Kathy Lee?!
Jamie not only solved all their barbecue woes– “I forgot the kebabs, how do I grill my proteins?” “What’s the best way to slice a watermelon?” “My bbq buffet is over-crowded with 37 condiments, help me Chef James!! — he also served up one of the ladies’ favorite drinks.
Margaritas. Freshly squeezed, straight-off-the-grill citrus (trust us- it’s amazing!), touch-of-salt margaritas. After Kathy Lee called him “Big Boy” for the second time, I knew that the drinks were a hit. Maybe the best part of all are the SunGold kiwis from New Zealand. That’s right, the sweet & tart kiwis add another level of flavor to the classic Mexican cocktail. Don’t believe us? Try this recipe! If it’s good enough for Kathy Lee and Hoda…
- 4 oz juice from grilled limes
- 3 oz Simple Syrup, see recipe below
- 2 oz Triple Sec
- 6 oz silver tequila (or mezcal for an extra smoky drink)
- 2 sungold kiwi, grilled
- ice cubes
- kosher salt for glasses
- garnish- grilled lime slices
- SIMPLE SYRUP
- 1 cup water
- ¾ granulated sugar
- pinch kosher salt
- For the grilled limes, cut limes in half and cook on the cut side on a hot grill until dark brown/black marks form. Remove and juice as needed. Juicing the limes warm will make them easier to squeeze. Cut the kiwi in half and scoop with a spoon to remove the skin. Cut into thick slices and grill. Reserve 6 pieces for garnish, use the remainder for the cocktail.
- Combine the lime juice, simple syrup, triple sec, tequila (or mezcal), grilled kiwi and several ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Shake well until chilled.
- Strain through the top of the cocktail shaker into salt rimmed martini glasses or rocks glasses filled with ice. Garnish with grilled lime and kiwi slices
- To make the simply syrup:
- Combine the water, sugar and salt in a small sauce pot and bring to a boil. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Chill and reserve in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks.
- *optional- add lime zest or sliced jalapeno to the simple syrup while simmering to infuse extra flavor into your drink
Leave A Comment